Opportunity - Operations and Business Manager - Austin
Who We Are: The Equal Justice Center is a non-profit law firm and employment justice organization with offices in Austin, Dallas, San Antonio, and Houston. Our employees enjoy a collaborative environment, autonomy in their work, and a shared sense of mission empowering low-income families and workers to achieve fair treatment in the workplace, in the justice system, and in our shared society – regardless of immigration status.
The EJC is the leading nonprofit law firm in Texas specialized in employment law for immigrant and low-wage working people. Our employment and immigration legal teams are known for helping our clients enforce their basic wage and employment rights, fight against discrimination in the workplace, secure DACA protections, become new U.S. citizens, and combat labor trafficking. In addition to providing legal help for individual and groups of workers, we also advocate for systemic reform to lift wages and improve workplace rights and conditions for low-wage workers, and to uphold the rights of the immigrant community. In addition, through a partnership with the University of Texas Law School, the EJC hosts and teaches the Law School's Transnational Worker Rights Clinic.
The EJC affirmatively values and seeks diversity in its staff and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, immigration status, religion, socioeconomic status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, family status, or veteran status. Members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
The Position: We’re looking for a dynamic and motivated operations and business manager who is excited about our mission and ready to hit the ground running. Job qualifications and responsibilities appear below. This is a full-time position located in Austin, TX. During the current pandemic, our staff are all working remotely but with a high level of dynamic collaboration. Once it is safe to return to in-office operations, this position along with a staff of lawyers, paralegals, and the Executive Director, will work out of the Austin office located at 314 E. Highland Mall Blvd. Work schedule can be a flexible combination of in-person and remote work arrangements-within reasonable parameters-both during our current process for safe resumption of in-person office operations, and in our future post-pandemic operations. Vaccination required to protect our team.
Salary of $53,000 or higher, depending on experience, and will be consistent with other small non-profit law firms. Highly valuable benefits package, including generous paid time off, plus gold-level health insurance, dental and vision plans (all 100% employer paid), along with other benefits.
- Title - Business Manager
- Monday-Friday, with mutually agreed schedule flexibility
- Combined remote and in-person work arrangement consistent with pandemic conditions
- Main office location: 314 E. Highland Mall Blvd., Austin, TX 78752
- Satellite Locations: Dallas, Houston, San Antonio
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Experience:
- Minimum three years’ experience working directly on business operations, preferably in a legal and/or non-profit organization
- Experience with QuickBooks Online
- Proven track-record as a highly motivated, self-directed and collaborative problem-solver
- Demonstrated ability to understand, leverage, and integrate all areas of management (financial, operations, technology, human resources, facilities, and marketing) in order to maximize the efficiency and effectiveness in delivering services to our clients.
- Manage employee payroll, timekeeping;
- Manage all aspects of benefits including securing vendors, annual renewals, vendor performance, setting up payroll deductions and auditing employee balance;
- Create, monitor, and manage budgets in collaboration with executive director;
- Oversee all income and expenses including income from client legal case recoveries, payment of litigation costs, management of operating expenses, employee reimbursements, and others;
- Manage grant income and grant reporting from multiple funders;
- Manage charitable donation income, maintaining accurate donor records in donation database;
- Manage client trust accounts according to applicable State Bar rules;
- Ensure compliance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP);
- Manage and assist in employee search, acquisition, and onboarding;
- Manage facility relations and needs with property management and vendors as needed;
- Assist in facility planning and lease negotiations;
- Participate in marketing strategies based on an understanding of the mission and how new clients, new funders, and new donors come to us;
- Implement and administer software systems including Google Suite, Zoom, MC Office Suite, Adobe Acrobat, and GoToConnect (VOIP) to optimize effectiveness;
- Work closely, collaboratively, and caringly with fellow staff, executive direct and board of directors;
- Attend and present at board of directors meetings; and
- Other reasonable management responsibilities as necessary.
Ready to help us fight for justice? We want you on our team! To apply, please send an email with the subject line “EJC Business Manager Application” to email@example.com along with your resume and cover letter describing your interest in the position. Please also include thoughtful responses to the following questions as a part of your application:
- Please provide your salary requirement.
- Please describe your experience using QuickBooks Online. If you have not used QuickBooks Online, describe your experience with other accounting software, and how you would approach learning a new system.
- How would you go about tracking salary and benefit expenses for multiple restricted grants or projects? What systems or tools would you use?
- Describe any experience you have supporting staff in their use of software applications such as Google Suite, Zoom, MS Office Suite, Adobe Acrobat, GoToConnect (or similar VoIP applications), and Gusto payroll processing.
Timeline for Application and Start: Applications will be considered on an ongoing basis, as they are received, and we hope to fill the position as soon as we find the candidate who is a great fit for our team!